Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: iPhone

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Wish that was out in Aus. It's got a massive screen but is still pretty slim. I might still consider the original droid, it's about the thickness of an iphone 3gs but has a keyboard. Comes out this month.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

looks like a phone thats actually easy to use and not pseudo easy to use.

Why is the thickness important?
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well android probably isn't as easy to use as iphone OS, but I guess they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I certainly wouldn't call the iphone pseudo easy to use.

I don't mind phones being physically big in terms of screen dimensions, but I hate having thick things that are bulky in my pockets. Reason why I bought a card wallet and chucked away my normal wallet haha. The thinner the better.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the iphone seems easier to use, like the multi tasking just stacks the most recently used apps into a tab that you cant modify or remove items from unless you reboot your phone, after you have more than like 5 which is the screen width it doesnt stack it scrolls to the right, so you end up having to scroll and look through your task bar which you may as well just reopen the application from its home at least then you know where its going to be.

its buttons are in places that you have to be holding the phone a very certain way to use, the slide to unlock thing is silly and is just another "heres another touch thing to do", the charger is unique, my phones charger is mini usb, is the same as my camera, my gfs phone even though its a samsung, my dads creative chargers around the house, just the usb to mini usb transfer cable for file transfer even charges it. even my nintendo ds charger works. I can be at home in almost any room of my house, at my brothers house, niccis house, polvin or what ever and charge my phone without even really thinking about it.

phone even came with an adapter so any nokia charger previously made will work with the phone.

iphones sharp edge makes it want to change angle in your hand when you squeeze to hold it.

things like squeezing and expanding images with two fingers makes it a two hand operation which gets in the way if you are showing somebody something or even your on view of what you are doing to the image.

it all adds up for me to a phone i just find extremely illogically designed, pure form over function.

you can say simpler is always better but if i manage to deal with more complicated things and make use of them then why would i want something simpler.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

You actually can modify the apps in the multitasking tab - you can remove them by holding your finger on them and then hitting the little X that appears on them, AFAIK you can sort them by holding and then sorting, normally it stacks them according to last used. Scrolling to go between more than 4-5 apps is the same as android.

Who cares if you need to use 2 hands, it's a miniature computer, not a candy bar. I can do most stuff with it one handed anyway.

Everything else you've said sounds like it's just unfamiliar to you rather than not liking it.
    If you read any review dating back to the original ones introduction you'll probably find that you're in the minority as far as opinions on the user interface go. I'd go as far as saying that if you spent a week or 2 with an iphone you'd change your mind, notably on the interface of it. It really is quite a brilliant UI.
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th July 2010 at 02:25 AM.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

In fact I'd even put my phone where my mouth is and give you my 2g iphone to try for a while when I get my new one.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if i wanted it id already have it, my nokia doesnt have mechanical zoom its a one finger scale bar to drag thats infinately variable. Other phones are coming out with multi touch but it just doesnt do anything for me, some games might benifit but if you sit there and play games on a screen that small in any situation other than waiting longer than 15 minutes your a fool.

you bought the mouse cause its called a magic mouse. using two fingers on the front of a mouse is stupid, lifting your hand off the mouse to scroll doesnt make any sense, scroll wheels exist for a reason.

like the ipad, its more effort to keep lifting your arm all the time to tap things than it is to just have a keyboard and trackpad.

90% of blogs always babble on about apple shit cause they get sent shit from apple all the time and get invited to releases and get emailed information and stuff, its not whats right but its what happens. marketing sucks as bad as all the people who think they are designers and marketers and stuff cause they buy a mac and change their lifestyle a bit. All the serious design places that design cars and engines and machinery all use anything but a mac, but the dudes who get a picture change the hue, maybe get a video and do so slow panning shots with their camera get a mac. What you see more of doesn't mean somethings better. If something sells more it doesn't mean its better, you don't drive a commodore, you don't look at the sales of cars in america and base your purchase on that.

like jobs is the ceo of pixar as well as apple
    pixar annimation dont use apple stuff

Apple stuff costs more, you say its better quality, it has faults, you compare it to phones that cost less than half as much that half problems that are half as bad.
    Nokia releases almost a phone a month and apple releases a phone every 2 years (coincidence?), the main stay of their consumer base are buying the products without even looking at it.
    There were hundreds of blogs talking about a product that hadnt even been released yet, not because thats whats right, its what makes people read their blogs, its what people with apple products do all day. Its why the ipads on the news, its why people with iphones dont feel awkward like other people do when they show their phone to every second person.

shit like this

"lost power" sure is alot of lights in the room

i just hate absolutely everything about apple except the product
    i dont hate the products i just think there is more viable options

americans are so brutally materialistic like alot of people in australia are becoming that they dont give two hoots what they are buying as long as their credit card goes through and they get to show their friends that afternoon they are happy.

like i remember you would go on about where stuff was made and always rant on china, then when you fell in love with apple china was cool and your happy to buy stuff from there now.

when i bought my n97 i made a shortlist of the phones i was interested in and researched them, went and tested them in person and a few weeks later bought what i wanted. the iphone was on that list, i went into the apple store and got the absolute willies, i felt like i was surrounded by everything i hated in one store, the people, that attitude, the staffs arrogance and planned scripts.

like even reading through your post above you use terms like volume rocker and stuff, thats not geeky or nerdy or anything its just brainwash. Apple feeds people little names for everything so they feel cool for knowing it. Its not better or worse but it sure as hell is annoying. Windows calls it a taskbar or task menu or start menu, apple will call it dashboard and make it do some flashy thing when you mouse over to make you go oooooh wow. Like their website has almost every second word in inverted commas.

Like cars are one of the most marketed things there are, but what do you get, a brand name, model name, engine name and size, maybe one other little thing like bmws idrive (which i lament) you buy like apples most basic 300 dollar product and it has like 500 catch phrases to go along with it. Steve jobs might have done well for the company as a ceo, but he just used all the marketing tactics other people got over and gave them a fresh image. Go to the apple store and see the people at the help bar, dont need an iappointment, put your fixy in the rack and hang your scarf and image up over here on the rack.

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

volume rocker is a word that apple has fed into my head? wow.

The reason it's called a volume rocker is because it's one long single plastic pusher button, with a bridge in the middle, and underneath it are two contacts on either side. So you essentially 'rock' the switch like a see-saw to the side you want to hit. It's not an apple term, it's been around for a long time, and it's what the physical button is known as. In 2 seconds of google search I found a similar part labeled as a volume rocker switch in a nokia product manual:

As for everything else, whatevs man... you win, please present your penis so I may suck it to attain some of the god-like attributes and knowledge you posses.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

30 secs in

like a sponge

Name
    Gavin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

btw Pixar may not use apple computers for their rendering, but for editing and office/administration they do.

If you look at slide number 5 on the site that you linked () you'll see the computer on the left is actually a mac pro running through a normal CRT monitor (icons on the right side of desktop).

The computer hardware - nVidia TESLA and QuatroFX - that they use for the 3d rendering isn't made for macs. The rendering racks they use are like hundreds of processors sitting in rows and rows of racks. Keeping in mind that the setup costs well over a couple of million dollars US, so it's hardly comparable to desktop computers anyway.
    Apparently lucasfilm uses apples too.

Oh and guys like this one - one of the biggest commercial photographers in the states - apparently all they do is fiddle with hue and saturation sliders on their macs - not specialized at all! a child could do it!!
    Last edited by letsgohunting; 9th July 2010 at 03:59 AM.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast