Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: aw11 sc- track hack

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

coupe , how you doing man .. got you pm regarding the vent . i've got it save on my ebay list . i'll be getting it once the aw11 starts

so.............. been busy doing other stuff and just waiting on parts. went to toymods cruise yesterday and shifts track day the other week for work ... got an OZmazda this saturday so fingers crossed this car will run soon ...

update :

swapped my ratty starter for this bling reduction type , lighter and more balls

slowly working on the motor , images are not that great.

i wont be using the a/c so .. finding a alternator belt was biatch .. did something like 4 runs to the parts shop . Auto Excel boys down at Bonnyrigg were very helpful ... go see them next to Aldi and KFC.

for anybody who needs the part number its :

this afternoon i got this :

and another freebie ..

stay tuned got an update for tomorrow.

until then stay safe.
    Automotive social media http://motorculture.com.au or call us on 02 9418 9008

For some daily car culture check out http://zengarage.com.au

Gunner

awww just tell us now

Name
    Nick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

+1........

I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.
    Muhammad Ali

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hi guys .

last few weeks have been interesting .. []

so the engine was 90% done and only thing left was to tighten up the exhuast manifold bolts.. easy right ... wrong!

this happened :

previous owner striped one of the studs so it wouldn't bite ... so i figured easy fix .. went out and bought a tap and die set .. taped in a new thread , and it was ready .. from there i should of stop and went to bed . but me being a impatient prick .. i went looking for a stud that would fit .. after an hour of swearing i thought stuff it ...i'll just get a bigger bolt and force it in ... got my rattle gun out and started forcing it in .. after a couple of minutes it looked good . it was going in and need a little more ... that little more cracked it ... lesson: don't do what i did and take it to a pro

which i ended up doing ... which sort of work out ok for me .. i had 2 options really ,

1/ he could try and weld it and put in a sleeve and tap a new thread... but there was no guarantee

or

2/ change the head .

i opted for the new head ... simply due to not wanting to take the motor out if the stud failed on me once the car is running

funny enough it worked out ok , Sprinterman my engine builder said that the original head suffered from alot of heat more then normal and wouldn't of lasted very long anyways no more then say 6months or so and that whoever built the motor last got happy with the gasket glue. some of it had broken off and was blocking the water galleries ... that night i learnt alot about gasket glue and the damage it could do if it has been used incorrectly.... apparently it could cost you a new engine... =P

so x amount of money later and my pocket ever so lighter i got a brand new reco head .

gearbox also got done. and picked her up .. it was smooth sailing for this one .. only 2 bearings needed replacing the rest looked brand new. gearbox guy said that the LSD was in good nick .. yay!

this thing weighs a tonne ...

so i built a trolley from a small pallet i found and bought the wheels from bunning .. hopefully this will help with the installion this week ...

motor and gearbox reunited

i was looking forward to putting the motor back on the weekend and getting her started but after close inspection on one on the engine mount , it looked like it had seen better days .. im sure it would of been good for another maybe 12-months or so . But knowing how little space and poo poo job it is once the motor is in , i opted to leave the engine installation out until the engine mounts got sorted.

so did some gooling and had 3 choices

1/ buy 4 brand new mounts
    2/ buy aftermarket urethane ones
    3/ try and make my own one

i choose 3. simply because im on a budget, the engine mounts aren't totally goneski so with some help they should last me until i get funds to buy new ones. plus this car wont be a daily and will only really be driven once or twice a month mostly to the track and back. so with that in mind i got this today :

before anybody comments that urethane is soft. this stuff is rated at 80A.. engine mounts are normally rated at 70-75A .. i was going to go the 95A stuff but opted for the 80A , just because I'd like to keep my teeth.. hehehe and 4ages don't like super stiff engine mounts ..

and did this :

then this :

then mixed some urethane up

and then filled them up :

dry time is 48hrs with 100% cure at 7days .. so thats perfect for me .engine will go back in the car on saturday ..

oh last thing , got this the other week off sweetpete.. i didnt really want to spend anymore money modding it but it does .. grrrrr, so just another thing on the list :

so thats it from me atm . until next time

merry xmas guys. hope you guys have a happy and safe holiday

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

oh i forgot .. dont use a reduction type starter motor .. they dont fit the gearbox housing... (DOH!) so i got lucky and the shop that reco'd my started swapped it over for my old one with a reco ... no charge ... just walked out looking like a dick head.

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

so last weekend the engine went in .. was pretty straight forward..

thought i give it a clean first since the motor was out .

Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

car up and motor in

forgot to take photo of the motor in .. but it is in ... hehehe

fuilds are done .. wiring is done and fuel in ... battery connected and went to crank her and she got a good crank , plenty of spark but no fuel ...

this is why :

just pulled the tank out about 15mins ago.. OMG!!! i have never seen such a farked fuel pump in my life ... funny thing was that the fuel tank was full of petrol .. super old petrol but none less .. i know because i pulled the fuel tank plug out and it pissed petrol for a good 5mins all over my frecken arm ...

maybe it was already rusted & farked and someone thought all it needed was full tank ..

ANYWAYz i need a new pump and a working fuel gauge sensor (thats rusted too) ... any one know how i can clean the inside of the tank with out cutting her open ??? will water and vinegar work
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

SHIT DAMN,... all that done while i was in japan. top work. cant wait to work on my 86 but empty pockets means nothing gets done.. tandems soon i hope
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

dose the rest of the tank look like the pump?
    let tank dry out completely for a coupla days then give it a few knocks all over so it will loosen up any flakes of crap in there, then try to flush/ wash out with diesel or something....... worked all rite for my old ke70

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey guys... can report it came out awesome with a little help from nature ... just waiting on the new pump before a proper update with pics ... boss (ex race car mechanic ) reckon i should also clean the fuel lines aswell SOOOOooo ... thats gonna get done aswell ... i was hoping to hear her start but i guess it can wait ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast