Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I don't have a witty name for this yet...

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

spiders and bugs are synonymous for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Name
    James
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hey man nice beetle. Im doing up a 69 squareback. Its inspiring to see someone else who has time for aircooled oil stain-leaving goodness. Looking forward to seeing how this ends up.

Name
    Brett
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Great project dude. I come from a VW obsessed family (hence owning a mk2 gti) my old man has a clean original 56 oval, a rat 74' bay window single cab sporting an EJ22, an 89 T25 Syncro/camper with an EJ20 and a 89 T25 caravelle with an EJ22 haha.
    Gotta keep the early beetles aircooled, keep it up man

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

69 Squareback hey Plelz? I have a 73 Square, and a 70 square thats been converted to a Panel van as well. But the panel has been raided for parts for the beetle, well, the engine case anyway!

Heres a Pic of my Panel, yes I know, not a genuine, but i never claim it is!

Build thread Here>>>>

Cheers bg, im not a massive fan of Ovals, or Split windown Bugs for that matter, people just overrate them, plus, you cant see shit out the back! Im chasing a Bay window of some sort, there wont be any EJ conversion in my stable though, if its not Aircooled, im not interested! (Within reason of course, I respect them, i just wont drive them )

Parts keep turning up for the Beetle, no point sharing much until it all falls together though, Shit keeps going wrong and holding the build up. If i get all my parts by friday (Which could be difficult, im meant to be heading to Winton for the drifts Friday morning, better make sure someones home!) Ill post something up next week sometime hopefully.

Anyone in the know should know whats special about these that showed up last week...

It was sheer luck really, I was literally ordering a set of Porsche wheels for my Panel van when a mate called and asked if i wanted it, i couldnt say no! It was advertised on The Trading Post of all places, a deceased estate, 3 cars, 7+ motors, spare pans, trim, glass, EVERYTHING... I could almost build a 4th car from the parts we got. It was a trying week with others offering more money than Me and my Mate did, and then not trumping up with the cash, so we rolled up, paid, took a bunch of stuff, and put our own locks on everything and collected the rest a little later.
    ...Low Is a Lifestyle...

Any car so nice you can't drive it in the rain.. is too damn nice to enjoy

I used to play sports... Then i realized you could buy trophies... Now im good at Everything!

Name
    Tim
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

one day i wish to build a sick aircooled beetle...one day i tell you. nice build though!

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I havn't had my camera with me most of the time im working on the car, so shitty camera phone... Not much you can see in this photo, but Disc brake front end completed, inner guards painted, T bars in place, guard beading finished. Ordered new tyres for it today too, just waiting for the engine to come back from the Machine shop so we can assemble it, and it should be sweet to go.

I have photos of various things, but i hate the camera on my phone, so that will do for now.

The car needs to run for a Show on sunday this week, but due to other comitments, it needs to be finished and driveable by Thursday night (Even if its an all nighter)
    ...Low Is a Lifestyle...

I used to play sports... Then i realized you could buy trophies... Now im good at Everything!

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

It lives!!

We finally got the car on the road Saturday night/Sunday morning for the Day of the VW show here in SA. At about 2am we took it for a quick blat around the farm, but not being able to get 12v globes to suit the headlights (It slipped our minds and at midday on a Saturday there isn't much open) we couldnt go far without a torch lighting the way.

After a few hours sleep I Headed to the workshop early Sunday to get the car and head to the show, aside from a stiff throttle and a bit of wandering (Need a new steering box) all was sweet till i was about 10k's down the road and I got a puncture in the left rear... A bad start to the day, but shit happens. No Tyre places open on a Sunday, no repair, get a lift back to the workshop, no spare wheels that will fit there, grab the other car, drive half hour back home, and half hour back to the Beetle to get some spare wheels and tyres, 1st problem, the wide wheels dont fit the rear, they hit the springplates, OK, i bought some narrow ones up too, 2nd problem, Wheel studs for BRM's dont really work with standard smoothies, back to the workshop for the old studs.

Finally back on the road, another 5k's and i stop to check out where the burning rubber smell is coming from... Front drivers side tyre is scrubbing on the guard... Shit... its not too bad, i can still make the show... 1k down the road, throttle jams, free rev, shut it down and pull over. Open engine cover, missing fan belt... Crap... Cant find it...

Make a few calls, my Engine builder comes up, go get the truck, 45minutes to get the car onto the truck, back to the workshop, unload, another 45minutes, and by now, its almost 5pm. After an 8am departure from the workshop, i made it barely 15k's, and its back on the back of a truck.

Shit happens, ill sort it out this week!

But heres what it looked like!

Ill add these pics too...

Old Motor

New Motor

Last edited by Brass Munky; 28th March 2011 at 05:46 PM.
    ...Low Is a Lifestyle...

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I forgot these two vids...

Time Lapse...

And engine on its first start...
    ...Low Is a Lifestyle...

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

This is seriously cool. Good luck on the rest of the build mate.
    I'd rather have an '86 than a girlfriend.

Name
    Felix
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

was hoping to see this at the VW show on the weekend, looks like its coming alone swimmingly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast