Name
    Bill
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Default Best AE86 workshop in Melbourne

G'day...

I am semi-retired and own a beautiful AE86 Levin that I use for hillclimbs and Sprints. I live in Sandringham in Melbourne and I want to get a bit of work done to make the car go a bit harder. I was thinking of a tuneable ECU, Extractors and maybe cams....The car has a 4AGE, 5 speed box, 2 way slippery diff and adjustable suspensin and I am looking for an additional 10-15 KW.....Is this the way to go? Who is best in Melbourne to do this for me?

All advice welcome

Cheers

Billsbee

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Absolutely. You'd almost reach that power gain with ECU alone. With headers, some small cams (264's), and a tuneable ECU you will comfortably get 15-20kw extra at the wheels Provided your engine is fairly healthy, and you already have an exhaust.

I cannot comment on the melbourne part, hopefully someone else here knows of good workshops down that way.

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

hi billsbee, id advise you to take 70XIN's advice since he has very good knowledge with 86's and has worked on them alot so it is first hand exp and info,

im from melbourne too id say as far as tuners go and try contact kat / trent after hours via mobile number just call at say 6pm for an answer, i think he will steer you to microtech and definately dont bother with power fc for 4age its way overpriced
    as for garages in melbourne who have a lot of exp with 86's not any unfortunately, id say its better off in your own hands rather than someone elses

anyway thats my personal opinion someone may other wise
    Regards,
    David.

Name
    Bill
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

70XIN

Thank you for the advice....Any ideas where I could source a tuneable ECU? Are they commercially available? I have a mechanic who works on my other cars (MGA, Pajero etc) and I am happy with the job he does for me on the other cars...I assume it would be a relatively easy job to "plug in" the ECU and I was thinking of getting him to fit this for me....Do you think this is sensible?

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Bill

Name
    Bill
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

David

Thanks....I will take 70XIN's advice.....Cheers

Bill

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

You have a very wide range of ECU's available to you; some are good, some are better. some are cheap, some are far far far from it. the real deciding factor should be the tuner: find out what ECU's he's comfortable with, and whether he's done similar motors to yours (anything 4AGE) in the past. nothing is worse than letting your tuner "try out" a new ECU, you don't want to be a guinea pig for that sort of thing

Then the decision is up to you, but i recommend you post back once you have been told which ECU's are recommended/the tuner is experienced with, and some of us can give fairly unbiased opinions of which is best and you can go from there

Goodluck

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah reason im saying this is cause the person i recommended is supposeably one of the best tuners in our region, plays around a lot with power fc and microtech, also when i was speaking to him he kind of steered me away from adaptronic which is what a lot of this forum will swear by since its a cheap option

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

why did he steer you away from it?

Billsbee welcome to the forum, if you have any forum thread reports or editting requests let me know, I try and keep things running smoothly with the time I have left. Now which model of 4age do you have exactly? if you don't know you can post a picure or tell us whats written on the intake manifold
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

put on some beers and i'm sure you'll have a couple people lendin a hand, can do cams and exhaust then just take to an exhaust shop to get extractors matched up, then yeah take it to trent for a tune, he said he was happy to do my adaptronic and they work well for a 4age, however is he's happier to use a microtech they're only a liuttle bit morecash, never ended up using him but yeah highly recommended by anyone who's ever been there

Name
    Cameron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Had my car tuned by him and its all good, he wont wire up the ECU though, but he can supply the ECU at very competitive prices.

Just be warned they run a closed door workshop and dont take calls or customers who walk in off the street, you will generally have to leave a message and cat will call you back, this way he can apply himself 100% to the job at hand. It was a lil frustrating at first but its a good way of doing it in the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast