ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Default Tie rod ends

Car - AE86 Levin

motor - 4AGTE

use - Daily/occasional drift

problem - Left front tie rod end has play looking for replacement

As mentioned above my left front tie rod end has some play in it and I'm looking for a replacement item.
    Although I only have to replace one I will probably replace them on both sides for some extra adjustable ones that will come in handy for drifting.

However I got a couple of questions I coulnd't find an answer on using the search button so here it goes.
    - My car has no power steering but is fitted with the shorter power steering arms, can I still use the non-power steering tie rod ends?
    - In principle it's just some simple steelwork so I reckon there wont be much differences in the designs but does anyone has bad/good experiences with certain brands? Like Cusco or AJPS ones for example?

Thanks!

Bozu
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

The ones that AJPS sell allow for more adjustment then the genuine toyota ones right? And the adjustment comes in more thread/longer tie rod ends, right?
    ADM AE86 Levin

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I've always just gone to Repco/Bursons/whoever and got whatever is listed for an AE86. I will be garaunteed to change setup before they wear out anyway.

Also there is no need for extra adjustability of drifting. If your tie-rods fit then they fit. They are only ever moved when you're adjusting toe-in and that usually involves +/- 1 turn.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Okay thanks for the info, I thought if you put like 1º - 2º of toe in on the fronts it makes it easier to get the back out when drifting.
    I haven't done it myself yet but can indeed imagine you don't need a lot of turns to get the 1º-2º
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i'm running ajps tie rod ends and slimline ball joints, highly recommended!

Name
    Gary
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there is literally no difference in tie rod ends in the example of power steering and non power steering models . the only possible variations are , thread of the tie rod end , the size of the taper , the length of the tie rod end .

there would be literally hundreds of options to replace your standard items and you dont have to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy after market brand name items , id suggest just opting for the kind of rod end that suits what you use your vehicle for .

slim line joints allow easier wheel fitment however cast items in the slim line range are venerable to breakage especially when seeing track work and clipping ripple strips as are most of the cast items however you can imagine how a thin hollow end could be more prone to breakage.

i suggest you go find a supplier suspension outlet and have a chat to someone who knows what products are available and what they can order to suit your needs

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Why would you recommend them? How long are running them for and what do you use your car for?

@swcustoms: I'm not familiar with the slim line design do you perhaps have pictures of the normal and slimline one you mean so I can see the difference? Also I agree a thin hollow end is more prone to breakage with the side note that the material of which it is made stays the same.

As to what tie rod end would suit my needs, I'm going to use my car for daily commuting and some track/drift work...

Also I'm not from Perth any tips on good suspension shops are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Bozu; 2nd May 2011 at 11:13 PM.
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Just run whatever they sell at repco/malz/supercheap/auto one. I wouldn't go to any suspension shops around here. Although I would take the car to a reputable workshop that can do wheel alignments. You NOR/SOR/east?

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

I'm north of the river.

Also it's important that my car stays road legal. And I've also read something about adjustment to reduce bump steer or is this only available with the solid joint (not road legal) tie rod ends?
    Last edited by Bozu; 2nd May 2011 at 11:31 PM.
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, those things aren't road legal at all... not that a cop will even spot them.

How far north? Like wangara or closer to city? Or you don't mind driving to a good work shop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast