Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rim Sizes + Tyre Profiles

Bad Email Address

Just wondering...........

In regards to rim heights on Sprinters, everyone recommends that you dont run higher than a 15 inch rim because of balance........

Now, when running a 15" you have normal size tyres to get the normal outer diameter the same, but on the track, normal tyres have massive sidewall flex. To compensate for this, you run a lower profile tyre with the 15" rim. In doing so, this would actually "f*** with the balance"....... WOuld it not? And also a change in outer diam. would increase acceleration, but decrease top end, and out your speedo out!...........

For track / spirited driving purposes, wouldnt it be more sensible to step the rim size a little higher, ie 16" and then run a lower profile tyre, which would bring the outer diameter to the same as a normal 15" with standard tyres?

Also, is there any problems with running stretched tyres? Apart from the loss of sidewall flex, are there any down side?

Just some thoughts........ Please Comment!

Bad Email Address

the best tyre for street/spirited circut, or drifting, would have to be 195/50R15.. up to you what sorta tyre brands etc.. but that i think everyone can agree on is a good size.. not too big.. and have good sidewall height..

with this setup there pretty much on par with the stock 13's that came on them.. if you choose a tyre/wheel combo because of your speedo, you have some prioroties around the wrong way.. this as far as i know doesn't affect too much..

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

13 inch - 185/60/13

14 inch - 185/55/14

15 inch - 195/50/15

you want at LEAST 6 inch wide rims...

Name
    alex
    State
    wa
    Country
    australia

This statement does not make sence. To get the normal outer diameter, or "rolling radius", yo need to run a 195/50 15. This is also what you should be running on the track. There is non difference. Some people do run 195/55's or 195/60's, but thats only because they are more commonly available.

Oldschool Member

Are 205's considered too big?

Name
    alex
    State
    wa
    Country
    australia

Hard to spin up if your not running forced induction, even then it might get better results if you use better quality 195's to get a better controlled drift

Name
    Billy-Joe
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I have to use 225 on the rear, as beaurepairs will not put anything smaller cos its and 8 inch wide wheel (15 in diameter).
    Previous cars:
    BMW 318i, Mazda MX5, Mazda Familia, Toyota Levin GTV (miss it), AE71, AE92 corolla x 2, Honda Integra Type R DC2 (awesome car),
    Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR (Missing it)

Current Car:
    2013 Hilux SR5 (turning it into a off-road warrior)
    I am looking for a track only car..... Thinking of an AE86 to use.

Name
    Kane
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

you dont have to. tell em you want 195's and if they say shit about warrantys or insurance or whatever jus tell them you will sign something saying you take responsibility.

or better still go somewhere else.

Name
    Travis
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I have made a pledge with myself. The next rims i will be buying will be no narrower than 7", whatever rolling size be 14" or 15", something around 15x8 would be nice. Run 195/50's on those

Bad Email Address

I dont think you can go bigger than a 225 on a 8" wide......... And that is under the table....... They wont fit 225 to 8"s on your car........!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast