Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED dash lights that actualy work?

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I am thinking of making my dash lights red, I know that there are sleeves for my current globes and there are also LEDs with concave lenses available. I want something that actually brighter than standard. I am thinking of using some of these:

Its a 3 watt LED, I would most likely use a glue gun to glue it close to the hole of the old globe. Would this work?

30kw club

Name
    Michael
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Is the light from those diffuse enough? Or does it come out as a beam that will make bright spots on your dash?

I have tried various direct replacement LEDs - the concave lens ones aren't too bad, but still give uneven illumination.

Bad Email Address

Ive got blue led ones.. its a cluster of 3 leds which work ok.... its brighter directly where they are but still ok in the less bright areas...

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

those leds you have shown will be vveerryyy expensive....

i bought some of these leds from ebay a while ago, they have unbelivebalely bright, and have a massive angle of light

i have white ones and blue ones and are bright as, so i reckon if you put a heap of those behind youll be right

ps. i think im gonna have to flog your idea
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Oldschool Member

i have been thinking about this too. But since i'm to lazy to chop and change i was thinknig about just painting the existing globes with glass stain! It would get a colour change and it would be cheap too!
    Cheers
    Cerby

Oldschool Member

well tried staining the globes and it's shite! THey are as blue as anything but when you actually get them going the light is white!! Oh well
    Now i was wondering if someone could tell me how you attach proper leds ont the cluster! DO you just solder the leds into the green plastic things that the wedge globes press into?
    Cheers
    Cerby

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im not exacltly sure what the globe holder things look like, but you may be able to use the existing globes to solder the leds to. ie smash/dismanlte the original globes and then solder leds onto that. or as you said solder straight to the dash
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i just used LED's with the right fitting on them, was a direct pull out, put in replacement. I used a blue wedge LED to spread the light as much as possible, and sanded it a little to spread it a bit more.

Just take out your dash globes, and take it down to Autobarn or supercheap to get the replacement LED's, just test them to see which is the brightest and most spread light.

Mine has turned out well. Everything lights blue, not as bright as before, but plenty bright enough, and there no longer dimmer adjustable. Just on or off.

Theve been in for nearly a year now, in a daily driver, and ive had no problems with them not working

Oldschool Member

Oh ok i didn't realise they made wedge type leds! Well thats what i going to have to do then!!
    One question tho why doesn't the dimmer adjustment work? Did you remove it from the circuit or do the leds just dim completely when you movce the adjuster down??
    Cheer
    Cerby

Name
    Dusty
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

mine are narva leds and you need a good contact or else they will flicker and stop workin they are also directional and yeh mine are really direct and cost about $50 bucks all up and i am not sure if its really worth it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast