Thread: Giving my new 86 a bit of a tune up.

AetasVereor

Thumbs down

Hello again folks. I have a "few" questions about some maintenace I will be doing shortly on Linae (Yes, I named my Hachi Roku Linae). Anyway, here they are.

Engine oil Suggestion? I know I need to change out what is in it, because it looks to be synthetic, and I don't think that's such a good idea for the poor little 4ac.

Engine coolant suggestion? Are there any special requirements for type, mixture? The stuff that is in it is purple, which is probably the ONLY color I have NOT seen for coolant. lol

Gear Oil suggestion? Because I imagine the axle needs it. I sincerly doubt it has even been checked since the vehicle was bought.

My clutch seems to be slipping quite a bit. How much should I spend on a replacement? What type and/or brand?

How hard is an electric fan modication going to be? Trust me, I'm in Texas, I need it. lol

That damn buzzer is driving me insane, how can I turn it off? (You know, the one that warns you about leaving your keys?)

The seat belts are pissing me off as well, they have that little switch on the door that makes them only retract when the door is open. Will removing this switch remedy the situation without making the seat belts unsafe?

My horn does not work and the fuse is fine. What should I check next?

How much can the electrical system take? I don't want to kill it when I replace the stereo and such.

Replacement headlights, they seem WAY too dim. What replacements should I get that WONT fry my wiring?

And lastly, and most importantly; anybody know where I can get a Trueno front grille badge and when the AE86DC stickers will be back in stock?

I appreciate any and all help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

BTW, Linae says hi. lol

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Most of your questions are sort of American specific. We are all in Australia. Most of the brands for oils, coolant and headlights will be all different. And we can't help with your busser either sorry. Hit it with a hammer.

Some warning. The aftermarket car "tuner" is easily misslead with brands and advertising. You don't really need anything Toyota didn't suply on the GT-S model, except shocks, coilovers, and suspension bushes/joints. Everything else, replace with stock new item.

Oil brand makes no difference. Use any old gear oil or even dextron III in the gearbox. But don't use a 90 weight as it's too thick. Use any old diff oil in the diff that is GL-5 or better. Use GL-6, GL-5* or LS90 if you have a LSD. For engine oil, use anything. Get it cheap at the supermarket. It will make little difference. Change the engine oil a lot. The diff and gearbox does not matter, as long as it has oil.

For coolant, I like genuine Toyota coolant which is red. It protects the system well, but will leave a pink crustation mark where it has leaked or overflown. Don't mix with other coolants.

Headlights, ebay. H4 conversion kit.

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

how well do the h4 conversions go? we all know sprinter head lights are shit

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

This guy is in america, everything is different. I was speaking to him in that context.

The Levin style headlights are already H4. The later ones work better.

From memory the Trueno style lights are sealed beam. You can get H4 kits for them, with diamond shaped reflectors and stuff.

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I don't think you have a 4AC in there mate... if it's a Corolla GT-S AE86, it will be a 4AGE.

Johnny is right (obviously) on all of those parts. Headlights, a variety of brands and types have been used, I think some Phillips hi-vis globes were recommended a little while back.

Engine oil: I've had Motul in my 4AC, it's very nice. Will have the car serviced soonish, not sure what they will put in it but it will do the job. For the gearbox, I think we put some Castrol generic gearbox oil in there, it does the job.

For the horn, check the wiring between it and the wiring to the steering wheel, see if anything is loose/broken. If nothing appears broken, then it's probably the horn itself.

Clutch: if you are going to be driving hard, moving to a heavy-duty kit is a good idea. If you aren't concerned about replacing the clutch semi-regularly, standard clutches should be fine. Probably Exedy or similar would be best, depending on price and availability over there.

When replacing the stereo, the stock wiring is fine - to a point. The ignition signal cable will be fine, but moving to a higher gauge for the 12V direct line would be best. Putting new cables for the speakers would be wise, as 20+ year old wires aren't the best quality/resistivity wise.

The Treuno front badge can probably be obtained through Toyota, ordering direct from them.

As for AE86DC stickers, contacting us_ae86 or Nick (senior admin) would be best, they're not expensive

Hope this helps. Say hi to Linea for me too!
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

AetasVereor

Thanks a lot everyone, I forgot about the Australia/America thing. I will definitely look into the headlights thing and the wiring stuff is good to know. I will investigate horn wiring today. I appreciate you all helping to the best of your abilities.

BTW, You must also remember; it's an AMERICAN AE86 SR-5. So unfortunately, it is a 4ac......damn american spec cars......

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Aaah, was kinda on the assumption it was a GT-S... Nothing wrong with the 4AC, it's just that a much better engine/s slot right in.

You're probably thinking 'damn Aussies...' :lol:
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

AetasVereor

Of course not? :unsure: I love your accents, lol. (Only because I don't hear it very often) work near a couple of fellas from the Austalian Air Force. They are cool as hell.