Thread: electrical problem - aircon

Hey guys, did a 4age conversion on my ke70 at the end of last year and finally got around to getting the aircon redone (new pipes, gas etc - had factory aircon prior to conversion that worked fine). Spoke to the guy who did it and he said that they tried it after it was finished and it worked fine (car running, then a/c turned on). They had to turn the car off, and after they restarted it they couldnt get it to go back on. They said they COULD look into it, but suggested it might be an auto elec job. They said they looked at the fuses in the kick panel but nothing appeared wrong there, and i checked out any other fuses and relays etc but nothing looks wrong there either.

played aaround with it with my mate last night and we ended up running a wire from the battery to the a/c plug on the compressor, and it ran, which was a good sign. So, there's something f$#ked up between the button that turns the a/c on, and the compressor.

Traced the wiring from the actual a/c switch in the cabin, part of which went back to the amplifier. The wire coming out in the engine bay was black with white, so located that (indicated on diagram below in green). Chopped the black/white wire before the connector (3pin) shown on the diagram, and wired it directly to the magnetic clutch wire (with 10A in line fuse).

Turned it on, and hey presto, magnetic clutch engages and cold air comes through :greenbounce: Joined up all the wires properly (had only twisted them together as i didnt think it'd work! :glare.

Tried it again, and it worked still. for a while, then coughed and spluttered and eventually died? :bash: was resigned to the fact that it is just f$#ked, and put everything back together.

Thought i'd reset the positive terminal on the battery just to see if that made any difference, and tried again - back on she goes :blink: Same again, eventually died off, but gave it some revs, and the compresser engaged again. So i got to thinking that it needed some RPM to keep it going. Went for a drive around the block and nothing again? Got back, switched it off, then on again, and gave it some revs and it engaged once more. When i let the rpm drop off back to idle it died, but then went back on as soon as it got some more RPM.

So, basically the question is, is there anything in the system that i need to hook up to let the ECU recognise the a/c is on and keep the revs up (maybe the a/c amplifier wire on the ecu harness??), as I'm guessing it needs a certain RPM to keep it going? Guessing this is why it worked when i started the car (ie high idle while cold), but then stopped after it had warmed up.

Again, any assistance in the matter would be appreciated! :2thumbs:

Due to the overwhelming interest this thread has created, i thought i'd update all with the happy ending! :lol:

Had a look over the AE86 manual, and found at page AC-29 the following:

I remembered seeing this little knob when i was checking out the wiring, and thought about it but decided it couldnt be what was wrong. Anyway, was reading this page about 30 minutes ago, so went out to the car to try it out. Turned car on, ran aircon, and it slowly died off as it had been. Twisted the knob (clockwise i think, even though it says counter-clockwise in the book) to increase the RPM cut-off, and the compressor came back on. Went for a spin around the block and it stayed on. Also adjusted my thermo fan so that it comes on fairly cool to draw some more air through the condensor, but will have to do another fan on the condensor also i think (or 1x 16" with a bit of an enclosure between the condensor & radiator). So probably didnt have to do that re-wiring i did, but all is good now! :2thumbs:

So, it would appear that the following may be concluded:

If you do an engine conversion, and your airconditioner cuts out at idle, its because this little screw needs adjusting. It can be found on the "a/c amplifier (the a/c amplifier is actually a cpu card of sort, enclosed in the small plastic box with the knob and plug on top), and will give you nice cool air again! :greenbounce: :greenbounce: :greenbounce: :greenbounce: