Thread: GZE and stock Tachometer

riojin

so ive been reading up on tachos for a late modle gze conversion. they seem not to work (mine doesnt). but i hear you can get a kit or alter the igniter setup so you can use the stock one.

anyone know of or have done this themselves?

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Club4ag have a guide to mod your tacho in your cluster. All you need to do is change one resistor on the circuit board and it will work. Took me 20minutes to do (including removing the cluster from car and taking it appart).

Found here: (image at bottom of page)
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

riojin

cheers for that. you know i read that last night but i musta have been really tired because i thought it wasnt the right thing i was looking for.

so i understand how to change the resistor BUT i now have another problem. when i got the car it had an aftermarket tacho which i want to remove. it is most likely hooked up to the ecu directly. this makes me thing that my stock tacho isnt hooked up to the ecu at all so which pins in the instrument cluster need to be hooked up to the ecu for the tacho readings?

Isnt that guide to use for waste spark and not for ECU signal? (havnt read through it, but looks familiar ) If so all you need to do is throw the tacho out and mod the dash accordingly (To that mod).

Wait i just read it... lol. Well there is a guide some were to mod you dash to work on waste spark ignition signal, IIRC its on twincam.org So you have two options

I lifted this from the megasquirt site :2thumbs:

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

the tacho signal wire on the dash loom is black with red bands, on the blue plug about 3 pins or so in from the left.

riojin

thanks guys ill give it a go

riojin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Dec 5 2007, 12:08 AM) </div>i just tried this. i put in the 15k resistor, wired up the tacho wire from my aftermarket tacho to the black and red wire (3 from the left on the blue connection) and still nothing.

*edit*

this was my problem

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4AGE - 86 @ Dec 5 2007, 11:56 AM) </div>it was actually the plain black wire 2 pins from the left. i looked it up on the wiring diagrams

thanks for all your help guys (y) im gonna remove the aftermarket tacho now and go for a spin