View Poll Results: Will you buy an FT-86

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 100%

40 50.00%
  • Would love to but ... (Can't afford to, have a wife, etc...)

27 33.75%
  • No

13 16.25%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: FT-86, Who's actually going to buy one?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yes but. what is more apparent now is the reason for the engine. aside from parts sharing. its packaging.

new cars basically have to have a low CD, for emssions alone, (86 GT is .27.. thats super low!) and short over hangs, as any good sports car should anyway. this doesnt leave a lot of room in the front for a longitudinal engine.

but a boxer is short. so they have managed to keep the weight back, and even more importantly, its LOW.

lowering the CG of a car is almost the most important aspect of good dynamics. this is why you lower your car. this part of the reason race cars have dry sump systems, and its the reason thing like the M3 CSL has a carbon roof etc. CG is everything to a sports car.

before seeing a lot more detail shots etc i wasnt convinced about the platform sharing. if you look at an imprezza, the the engine is way up high (sitting above the front diff)

but this is a dedicated RWD platform, and the layout is very elegant for a production car.

im not saying i love the boxxer but its there for a reason and its going to really make the car special.

also as far as power potential. the boxxer layout doesnt mean it cant make NA power. engine dynamics are to do with internal friction, port design, bore/stroke/rod ratio. there is nothing about having the pistons horizontally opposed that is stopping them getting these actual important things right. boxxer configuration has been used in MANY amazing race cars (both porsche and ferrari as well as others).
    78's

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I understand the porsches and the like can make NA grunt from a boxxer...just the ej has never been used like that - guess this engine is different...

I guess it has its pros and cons

and 5x114.3 would of been better
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im sure they can sort it out. the heads are toyota/yamaha. they should be good, and this is where power is made in an NA engine. the bottom end doesnt barely matter. the bore stroke is 86/86 i think? only other thing is rod ratio and maybe windage. it already makes 200ps at like only 7000 rpm? that pretty f'ing decent considering the emissions targets itd be aimed at.

tuned ones @8000 or 9000 and cams etc will smash the 100hp/L barrier. the DI is going to be a bit tricky but this is the car which will force aftermarket ECU manufacturers to get ontop of it.
    78's

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yes 86x86 bore/stroke, ecu is apparently open/unlocked/flashable, who gets access i wouldn't know, maybe need to apply and training through Toyota possible.

Pic going around of a USA mob Crawford & Cobbs already have access to the ecu.

its already nipping 100hp/L in the bum (if you believe factory hp claims), decent intake and exhaust would already tip the 100hp/L, good cams and tune would definitely beat it thou.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

1220 was the weight right?
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Gunner

1210kg dave.

subaru pcd changed in 08 from memory, no longer 5x100, but 5x114.3, since fhi/subaru were bought out by toyota.

No one bothered with NA ej, as the port design was wrong for such things. If you want to know potential power in NA form, look at the h6 platform (6 cyldinder version of this engine) The engine code is FB20 for the new version, and is already available in the my11 subaru's ( not a yami improved version though)

The ecu will be no different to the current subaru ecu's which are all open, want access, download rom raider.

To those that doubt the potential of a boxer engine, research what ALfa Romeo achieved in the late 80's early 90's with tier boxers, 14000rpm anyone?

As for tuning, and stand alone computers, most of the big companies will have a model of ecu, able to control Direct injection by the end of 2012.

From a performance mechanics perspective, I am really excited about this car, we may very well, get some sort of performance industry back, and thriving.

Name
    Kurt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Performance industry won't be back, by the time this comes out all modifications will be illegal.

Can't wait to get a test drive in this thing, I'm sure it'll silence a few haters, or I hope so.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thanks to the people who made me feel better about these unknown waters!

sounds like the engine will grow on me

Name
    Jay
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if i had money i would buy it, since i dont i probably wont even end up driving one

i wish they made a peasant spec one with like a cheaper parts bin engine or less features or something so that less cashed up enthusiasts could get into it. 35k is way too much for me

looks like it will be fun though

Gunner

WRONG, the new laws (for NSW anyway) put almost all power in the hands of the mechanics, who will be able to buy a licence, to certify modifications, rather than engineers doing it (kinda silly imo) only downside is any certification, can not be handed out till EPA have done an inspection, so if mixtures, and noise aren't an issue, its pretty much the same, just easier and cheaper to be legal

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast