Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luke's SR KE70

Name
    KE70
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Looks so much better with standard front guards!

Name
    Luke
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Whacked the bolt on flare guards back on for drift prac as i couldn't convince a mate to give them some panel beating love

With alignment sorted and lots of changes to sure up the rear end (adj panhard, 6kg springs & strut brace) i was eager to give it a whirl.

Rocked up, signed in and went straight out. Less experienced group was very, very slow. When I wasn't sitting in line sending snapchats i was stuck behind people who would spin, and then proceed to jump right back out at you. Seriously think anyone who signs into the less experienced group needs to go through a few basics on track etiquette whenever they sign in. 'Not drifting between the cones' isn't exactly a thorough explanation for first timers...

First two sessions were plagued by a huge miss on load. Brought it in and checked the fuel setup as i have had issues with surge before that havent reoccurred since changing to a facet lift pump and running a new return line. Fuel system seemed fine, then a mate went to check plugs. Apparently it pays to tighten spark plugs? wow, could of fooled me....

Went back out, got one lap with it back up to full power, next lap came out of the esses and went grab grab third... Nope, there goes third gear.

So im having to change a box a bit earlier than expected, thrust bearing seems noisy too so im hoping it hasn't killed the clutch with it.

More concerned with how much of a prick of a job this will be. Engine out for sure, then knowing me it will sit as a roller for several months while i collect parts that will never be fitted. Someone come do all the work for me while i cry in the corner.

Making a quick edit of my go-pro footage now, finding it pretty clear i should be trying 3rd through the esses.

Cant hear third go pop, it did get thrown after second was bouncing limiter though haha, but you can hear the rattle
    Last edited by luke04; 30th June 2013 at 11:50 AM.

Name
    Luke
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

3rd goes near the end

Name
    Craig
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

looks good mate, looks like u had a fair bit of fun out there. shame about the box but

Name
    Luke
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Cheers dude, yeah was finding a bit more consistency with a fresh alignment that was a slight bit less aggressive than previous.

Trying to chase down a box, people want drug money for rb20 boxes... Not paying wrecker prices when it probably wont last. havent priced up a rebuild but a guy local to here aparrently does good work cheap cheap. The box still selects gears fine. Hopefully should have it all out next weekend and go from there

Only found one photographer from the night, if anyone sees any others, shout out. Need to repaint those front doors.

Name
    Craig
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

that looks awesome

i feel your pain about motor out. i got one drift prac in in mine, now pulling the motor back out for blown hg. haha. we will strive on hahaha

maybe try hitting up some of the nissan forums?? the get rid of 20 boxes in favour of the 25 ones yeah??

Name
    Luke
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Really should recess the firewall and trans tunnel why it's out.

Yeah I'm on Ns more than here so keeping my eyes peeled on there and sau.
    Most people go 25 box once 20's let go, so not at many 20 boxes around as you would think

Name
    Craig
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I'm thinkin I might just drill holes on the firewall big enough to get a 17 socket and ext to the bell bolts and use rubber grommets to seal them back up after. I have nothing under my dash so access that way is no issue. Will make things a lot easier.

N yea I spose ur right about the 20 boxes. Good luck mate

Name
    Luke
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thats not a bad idea, but then again, i couldnt give two shits about this shell, its haggis anyway.

Seen a few 20 boxes for cheap, but other people want $500+ which is a joke. Same deal with SR boxes. Weak boxes aint worth that much cash... nearly at the point of thinking 25 box but the thought of doing that behind a stock SR just makes me think i need to learn to treat the box a little nicer

Bit more power or a higher diff gear will mean i will be able to use 3rd through the esses, so i wont have to upshift from 2nd to thrid on last corner/coming onto straight.

just as a comparison;

on the left is a SR20/RB20/RB30 input shaft
    Middle an RB25
    Right a GFORCE GSR (Jake Jones's new box)

Name
    Craig
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Yea I'm just thinkin it'll be easier than cutting then re welding the firewall.

Wholly shiz, did that gsr box come out of a truck??? It's massive

A mate of mine used to run a 20 box behind his 400hp 26. It lasted ages in drift. He was sayin summin about the 25 boxes havin stronger gears but weaker selector forks to the 20 box

ight wanna confirm that though
    Last edited by cooter; 3rd July 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast