Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZ powered 86

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Me too!

Dropped off the headers today to be fixed. He says a couple of days so Ill hassle him about it next week.

Otherwise no new developments today. I need my glass runs and door handles to arrive then that kicks off another bunch of work to do on it.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Mudflaps? Really?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yep and Ill be rocking a fanny pack too most days.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Get my headers back tomorrow hopefully with the two pies switched around to make them in phase.

Fitted new door handles. New glass runs, and greased my regulators in the doors too. Started putting trims on but found the moron who I bought the car off had thrown away most of the hardware that allows the trims and arm rests to fit, so will have to wait till I can get the clips from repco.

Got the 1/4 glass installed with new foam. All the mouldings everything. I wont be touching this shit again till I paint the car.

Running out of shit to do now. Just getting to the point where I need a welder to do a few small mods, like minor mods to my seat rails to improve the fit, some fuel line mount lugs, some tabs on the rad support so it can bolt in, weld in the back bar mounts, and a couple more small bits of rust that need proper attention.

Gotta get Medicine man over soon to wire my gauges up and check the last few bits of the system before I try to buy and ecu and run it.

Once Justin comes, motor out briefly to allow me to tidy up some things, and then its back together in a drive able state after that.

Oh and I greased up the seat rails the other day, what a difference that makes. Just good old maintenance is so rewarding.

Its gonna be funny when its otr, cause its initially going to look rough, but its so clean in a mechanical sense, like the doors and regs are crisp, door hinges, driveline all tight so hopefully it feels amazing and looks a bit sleepy.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 31st March 2015 at 06:40 PM.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So it might be up and running in a couple of months time? Painting next summer?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah something like that.

Medicine Man dropped over yesterday and made a harness for the gauges, fitted up all the correct bulbs, modified the tail light bulb holders so we get the correct operation of the lotus lights, and he dropped off the idle control manifold to me. I drilled and tapped it and its mounted on the engine mount ready for connection with hoses to each port, the pcv and the map sensor. Plus the idle controller hooks up to it also. One door switch wasn't connected and now that is. Justin fitted these rad led bulbs in the parkers and the front indicators. I also snaked through the interior light wire. Will have to look into a roll cage mounted light as it crosses right under where the factory light goes. The rear plate lights I connected up work good.

I might fit some bonnet posts to the glass hatch, as its not quite heavy enough to compress the boot seal rubber enough to give you a good panel gap.

I also finished off my doors and trims so they are all together now.

Did some more cleaning inside the car, blew out the chassis rails and saw 30 years of dust float away.

I have a few more bits to find, a come to Jesus handle for the passenger and the rubber bits that go over the door stop bars, I don't have those at all for some reason.

I will be locating the after market water and the factory dash water temp senders in the the same spot, Ill have the boat shop braise on the lugs I need onto my extension pipe and that will provide the 2 extra threads I need for this.

So looking forwards, medicine man will connect the last couple of senders to the engine-body harness, and will make a few extra wires for the oil and water senders we added, and that should conclude our wiring endeavours. I have to fit a purge solenoid too, but the wirs already there for that.

Then its motor out - sump mods - weld in a couple things - fit a reverse switch - motor back in and then buy an ecu and look at tuning it. Hopefully by the time I have the car ready for it I have enough coin to buy the ecu right away and I can get right to tuning it.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 2nd April 2015 at 08:42 AM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So Ive been chipping away at this car.

The sump has been clearanced properly around the oil pickup.
    Play dough clearance test:

Ive got a good 6mm underneath it now, as opposed to the 20 cent gap I used to have. Its been painted in gloss black engine enamel now too.

So has the oil pickup pipe itself. Thats all ready to go.

Currently taking the final steps to get my welder up and running, and then the motor will come out foir the final time.

I have been down to Ricks and reclaimed the headers, the collector just barely touched this odd chunk of aluminium on the side of the bell housing, but I simply sawed that off and now its fine, also underneath the car they have pulled a little towards the tunnel, but its nothing I can't correct with a single bend at the exhaust shop.

Im going to do more mods on my cooling pipe to make the heater connections more elegant. Im just going to have a large brass boss braised on there and then I'm going to tap it to take my speedflow fitting for the heater, and Ill do it more underneath the inlet to save clutter behind the head as I just cannot see the heater connections being able to last with the potential for a fair amount of things rubbing together behind the head. This way only a hose need to o be run behind the head and I can run it way below the heater connections through the firewall. Ill also add two more connections in 1/8 npt for the speco and factory temp senders to go into, and that solves the last of the clearance and sensor placement issues.

I have also polished my tensioner bracket, and I found a more rwd friendly thermostat housing on a Tarago at Wacol wrecker so I gave that a high polish and I fitted it too.

Made an interiro light that runs along the cage with 22 leds.

ulwoqmqd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Plumbed in the iscv manifold.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Organised a tonne of stuff today.

Motor came out over the weekend. I removed the cooling plate, the radiator return pipe and the headers for more mods.

Headers have had a wideband bung fitted, the flange trued and linished and the gaskets I need collected. Cheers to Macs mufflers on Pickering street for the help there. Hooking a ##### up. We also put a couple little tweaks in the lower single pipe as it had pulled a bit after the phases were sorted out. I removed the head from the spare 2azfe and took it to the exhaust shop, where we bolted up the flange till it pulled straight and then heated it with an oxy torch. That took most of the bend out of it. Then I just linished it till I was happy that it would seal.

I took the cooling pipe back to Zenith engineering and organised to have the three temp senders (ECU DASH and SPECO) fitted and to have a heater barb attached to make the heater more permanent, with the goal being to have less going on behind the head by the heater/firewall connections.

I also saw my sheet metal guy and got the bonnet cap organised. Plus he is going to remake my top radiator plate in aluminium. The cooling plate will be in 2mm aluminium, and the bonnet cap in 1.6mm. Should look pretty tough when its finished.

Started looking for my reverse switch but I'm having issues with that. I have a tech thread there if anyone can give some advice.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Woah lots of progress, doing well!

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I wait for inspiration, then... KAPOW!

Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast