Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stock 4AGE smallport not running? wtf is wrong with it?

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah well that's whats got me scratching my head, why won't it run now (it was pretty hard to start when it did start on inspection) but at least it did run at the time, only been on a trailer to mine in between then and now...
    Have tried start ya bastard, didn't really help, may have been ever so slightly more eager to fire but still has turned over yet....

If anyone in the Bris area is keen (especially if you have a few things like leads/ignitor/coil/dizzy we could swap over just to eliminate) to swing past and give a hand I'd be more than appreciative.
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Inspect your dizzy plug and wiring as far back as possible. I've had problems before with dodgy old brittle wiring. If the ecu isn't getting a correct cam angle reading it won't fire.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just had some success (although thought I broke something at first as I forgot to take my breaker bar off the crank pulley oops) but anyway got it running, played with the dizzy and got it running fairly decent, still down a cylinder but I had it idling without any extra throttle which was a marked improvement over the first time I heard it running. Really need to get a hold of a set of leads just to rule them in or out. I'm certain timing is still way out though, but at least it inspired confidence..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I haven't got a spare set as such, there is some lying around loose or I could take my leads off to use on yours to determine the problem. If it's timing related it should be fairly straight forward to fix.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Got a set of leads coming tomorrow arvo so can check that one off the list, hoping it sorts it, if not what should I be looking at next? injectors? igniter?

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Isolate which cylinder it is by pulling the injector leads one at a time til you hear a difference. You can do it with the leads but make sure you pull from the distributor side and not the spark plug side. Unless you like getting shocked.

When you figure out which cylinder it is, swap the lead over with the next cylinder. If that don't work then pull a plug and inspect it or replace it. It'll be wet/black from having fuel and not burning it or dry from not getting any fuel. If it's super clean but used then you've got a blown head gasket leaking water into that combustion chamber but if it's that bad, you'll usually se the steam out the exhaust. Basically, at point you can narrow it down to injector, plug or lead and if it's not that then engine mechanical or a severed wiring harness which is unlikely. It won't be an ignitor in the case of a dizzy car. To diagnose, you can swap stuff over from the next cylinder and see if the misfire/non-running follows it.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sweet cheers Ken, should of done that derrr, will swap leads about when I get new set tomorrow... I know the 2nd cylinder isn't doing fuck all as nothing changed when I pulled the lead while it was running and I'm almost sure the 3rd didn't have much effect either, 4th made it stutter, didn't get to 1 as I ran out of fuel. I did notice though before I got it running previously that the front and rear plugs were black and the middle two were quite clean in comparison... Hope its not a gasket, didn't pay much attention to the exhaust tbh

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well did a comp test, both middle cylinders barely hit 20psi, 1st cylinder 160-70ish & last 170 - already half way to ripping off the head... got my ignition leads but numb nuts gave me a set for a honda so have to take them back tomoz and exchange... sick and sicker... ~

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

crud.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just a bit... surprised it ran so well when it did thou with such shitty comp

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast