Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Matts Clean RA65 Coupe

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sounds exactly like what mine did with the temp spike. I killed two non-genuine thermostats, so I'd recommend getting a genuine one. I paid a whole $18 for one down at Taringa Sci-Fleet, with an extra $4 for the accompanying o-ring.

If you wait long enough, I'll be rebuilding my 22R with a cam upgrade in the coming months, so you can probably come for a ride and decide if it's worth it.
    Last edited by ill-minded; 16th June 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thatd be great, I cant pass up the chance to cam up a motor thats so easy to cam up, compared to say, a 4age.

I ended up getting a dayco thermostat, I always test them, I find daycos are always a few degrees behind what they should open at when I test them, the best of them is only around 2 degrees slow, but more likely an average of 5 degrees slow. I used an 82 degree one instead of the standard 88 degree one, and sure enough when tested it opened at 88 degrees, good old dayco, reliably shitty. So that's installed now, and I cant forsee much else to do really at this time beyond getting it flushed and having the good coolant put in. Just going to give up on the heater core until I can find a good one with minimal effort.

Name
    Sam
    State
    Sa
    Country
    Australia

Looks the goods man . Has is got any timming chain noise. Im looking in to getting a cam for my car. Juat dont no what specs to get

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Engine is super quiet mate. Everyone keeps telling me I should have a timing noise but I dont.

Name
    Sam
    State
    Sa
    Country
    Australia

Thats good then haha. Al

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just did a coolant flush, and found out I can get hoses from Toyota, which absolutely shocked me. $36 each. I'm just getting the bottom one as its easy to get a similar top hose from any Repco. I already cleaned up all the fittings to remove the scale of 28 years worth of corrosion. I've temporarily got the old hoses on there till tomorrow.

Also noticed they specify a heater deletion kit on toyo diy as simply 2 bungs, so I did that with 2x 5/8 inch bungs.

Now its all sealed up, it will get new front hoses, belts and Toyota coolant at the mechanics tomorrow as I'm waiting for the genuine radiator hose.

I also found a spare alternator to put on the shelf, and another vacuum solenoid to replace the one I snapped, just one suburb away. Ill pick those up tomorrow also. I still have a few 4mm vacuum hoses to swap over, and I'm considering having the injectors cleaned, as they surely would need it.

Thinking of spending a lot of today detailing it inside and out. It needs it, but it will really pop when its done.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Now its booked in tomorrow for an ac test and re gas if possible also. I checked it out, seems the hoses are all ok for the new gas, Ill just hopefully need a filter, compressor oil change, and a re gas if I'm lucky.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Went and bought and fitted the new radiator hose today. Was pretty funny, when I popped the block drain, nothing came out.

Bush mechanics required. I stabbed the hole with a screwdriver to remove as much crud as I could, with the car running, then I blasted it with a hose, compressed air, and finally a hook shaped tool, and was able to restore full flow after about half an hour of singed knuckles. I guess its part of a cooling system that doesn't get flow unless you are draining it, and being a pretty much untouched 28 year old vehicle, it probably had never been used. So with that tidied up I re flushed it for ages and then put genuine red Toyota coolant into it. I finished that just in time to visit the a/c place, and they inspected and tested the system. Its been converted previously to run with the modern gas, but unfortunately with neglect the seals are shot in the compressor. The hoses look quite new. I need to try and find a genuine denso ac compressor that hasn't sat for a long time as you can adapt most of them with a 4 bolt pattern if the top hose orientations are reconfigurable. If I can do that then I can set up the a/c for about $250. Got a couple of months before that's required.

I also went and got another alternator to keep as a spare and met another Celica owner. Cheers Mitch.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Got some brand new fuel injectors coming. Hopefully that cleans up the little shake it has at low throttle openings and idle.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast