Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Project funding. What works?

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Plenty of excellent points here, particularly from blinded and LittleRedSpirit - first car I built I didn't end up finishing. I was living at home, made about $30k a year (big money when you don't pay for food and rent!) and I reckon I dumped a solid $10k into my ae71 and never really got to drive it. Patience was the issue, I rushed in, bought stuff that was "cool", bought crappy stuff because it was cheap, etc etc.

As they say in business failing to plan is planning to fail - sit down and work out what you want the car to do. Is it a hard parking hero car? Track car? Drift nugget? Once you've got that down start doing that thing with your car - you will quickly work out what things you love and hate about your car. THEN you can start to plan mods. Prioritise what you want to do to the car. Do you hate looking at it but love driving it? Put wheels and paint at the top. You want to go for a spirited drive but it overheats and blows smoke everywhere? Engine work first!

Once you've got your priorities in order then research, research, research. Keep an eye on what is good and bad. If someone bought a cheap part did they find it was good? Crap? Did they end up binning it and buying a better brand name version? Real world example is myself with seats - bought cheap, 2nd hand seats. Hated pretty much all of them, except for a ratty Bride I had in my s13. With my ae86 I waited, saved and have ordered genuine Brides. Expensive, but much cheaper and less painful than cycling through a bunch of crappy seats. Some things you can't skimp on.

Finally, getting the money together for all this. Working hard is a given, if you need someone to tell you that you need to work for money you are probably starting behind the 8-ball so we won't go there. I find if I have something to work towards (pair of Brides for example) I will save money. Having clear goals helps - that way every time you go to spend money on takeaway or non essential stuff like that you think twice. I take lunch to work everyday so I don't spend money I don't have to. $10 a day on lunch adds up really fast!

Anyway I hope this helps. I am at a stage in my life where I have pretty high income and low responsibilities (small mortgage, no kids) so I will find it easier now than I did as a student. Just be patient and have fun!

Gunner

####s just need to do more skids.... Then every thing will be alright.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i concur
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Have your fun on private property.

Don't go out and get yourself in a bunch of trouble with the Police by doing hour long burnout sessions in cult de sacs just down the road from your workshop. Certainly try to not make enough smoke to attract news helicopters who think a house is burning down. This will allow you to avoid impoundings and thousands of dollars in fines that come with it. Thus allowing more funds to be spent on the car.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hahahahahaha

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

I get asked the same question by some of my friends. How have you managed to spend so much on your car ( around 40k in to my build).
    For me one of the biggest ways I get money for it is I dont drink or go out clubbing.
    I get paid pretty well when work is good and am lucky to have a missus that looks the other way when my wallet opens for sprinter and we have spent countless weekends sitting at home doing nothing to get the car finished. Which will be this friday fingers crossed lol.
    as for ppl saying buy someone elses half finished project, some times that doesnt work out. Most ppl on this forum would know my car as driftpigs old ae86 but imho I think I could of built it cheaper starting from scratch.

last but not least if you cant already get a welder and learn to weld/fabricate, I have saved so much monies building my own bits and you can make extra cash building things for other ppl. Often if I need a part I will look at the cost to buy it done or make it and which ever is the cheapest option wins.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yes a welder is good. It does however need a particular level of skill and equipment to do the more technical stuff. Welding alloy at home can be hard. That said, I could totally use a mig right now to help finish my car off. I'm considering buying one or borrowing one off of someone who hasn't used theirs in ages. I know a lot of car people could do things cheaper if they shared and looked after other peoples things.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7