Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

Default Project funding. What works?

Hey all.
    When I see and look at some of the amazing cars that are built, and even some if the average cars, I read through the parts that were used. Usually I read through, and the dollars start ticking over in my head.
    'A Nardi here, a garret there, some wata's here, and sure, why not, just an ultra rare, never seen these days Cusco/trd/whatever racing whatever JDM trinket/engine part'.
    I can't help but marvel at the dedication. Both to the attention to detail, but also financially.

What I would be keen to find out is how?
    How do you manage to pay for it? What budgeting strategies work? How do you save or service and still maintain you lifestyle. Do you make sacrifices?

Don't share if you don't feel comfortable, but it's interesting to know how you do what you do. Who knows, you may even help the younger (ke70 owners? :-p) how to avoid the constant financial pitfalls of car modding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

when i first started i was on nearly $1500 a week and had no bills. i was in a share house so my out goings was less than $100/week so i had alot of disposable income. i didnt live a boring life either. lunch everyday was something like nandos, i wouldnt think twice spending $250 on a t shirt and i would never really save for anything. i'd surf yahoo and send streeter some money and cool parts would rock up at my house. it was a good life, while it lasted.

i got to the point that i would have my car complete with a custom tail shaft and a body re wire but i pulled the pin. less than $2000 in my build and i stopped. at that stage it was all bolt in parts and i could easily sell the parts without loosing too much, whereas the wiring was money thrown away.

i decided to stop because with my current lifestyle i could not afford to take it to the track to use it. my cars dont have tow bars, i dont have a trailer, if nothing broke at the track i would need around $500 every tiem i take it out atleast. now with a wife and kid im happy i dabbled in cars and its amazing how much my interpretation has changed for my "ultimate car" from when i was 17 to now (24).

i wasted alot of money but i was in the position to do so. now i'v grown up i dont regret it too much. i wish i had driven more than i built. i wanted to build it from the ground up but realistically i should have bought something finished and had my fun. but now everything is sold i am about to purchase a brand new motorbike which all up will cost around $20 000 by the time i modify it a little. i may be swapping on evil for another but the bike will cost less, retain its value because im not getting something too common and it wont break every second time i take it out to the hills/track.

i'v kinda lost track but thats my story. do it if you can while you can, but at some stage your priorities will change. have fun
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What works is not thinking about what you sink into it

I have 3 cars I'm a fair way through building ( yes simultaneously) that I'd hate to know what owe me
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Tyrone
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Impatience is the killer.
    If you are patient and vigilant enough you will be able to complete a good build on a budget.
    As above I'm building 2 projects atm and I don't like to think how much I've poured into them, just get what I need when I can and forget shortly after how much I handed over.
    I nice example of this is the t-series I bought. I paid ~ $1800 for it along with a heap of other stuff from craig @ justjdm.
    Had I waited not 3 months there was 2 available for around the $1200 mark and I've since seen them for as little as $900.
    (Not that I'm complaining Craig )
    Your best bet is to buy someone elses project. I've seen several really good examples for around the 10k mark which would've been excellent starting points.
    My road project has probably cost me close to 25k and counting.
    Tbh had I had my time over I would have bided my time, bought a good starting point and made a few minor mods here and there, would have got to enjoy driving the thing instead of it sitting in my yard for years.

Well that's just my 2c anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorculture mobile app
    Last edited by burcoty; 5th August 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Name
    Laurence
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If i could start over i would not get a loan car/personal and buy a cheap stock ke or 71 and save like a jew but still go to the track and what not. $5000 later go on a spree of all the parts i want keep jewin for a few years buy a nice jap 86, trailer, tow car. But alas it wasnt to be, broke the day after pay day till i die .
    P.S. just skip this bit if u want but i gotta rant. i friggen hate guys in the mines who have so much money they dont know what to do with it and build $100k vk's and sell for like 20k in a few years and start again just because.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Tyrone said it perfect, impatience is the killer, I've poured a stupid amount into my car but had I have been impatient it would've been through many bank loans, owing people money etc. I've saved for every part I have and done every mod that could been DIY'd, I am happy to say that I owe nothing to any bank and I have my own track car/custom built trailer/groovy little daily

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I try sticking to only spending money on parts that are either replacing a broken part or that are a bargain.
    I help out others with things and others have helped me.
    If I didn't have a mortgage and dependent family I would probably have imported a jdm 86.

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I have a pretty major build on the go and have done for many years now...

I don't ever add up receipts as I think I would be quite depressed if I did so...

but nor am I under any pressure to complete it within a given time frame... It's been 4-5 years already, what is another 3-4 years...

Good things come to those that wait...

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I guess what the guys were saying also is do things once and do it right.

When i see people say I've dropped 50k on this car, i often look at it and wonder how. And then when i dig deeper you see the car has the 3rd or 4th engine in it.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Im FIFO........

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast