Thread: highest kilometer engine stories

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default highest kilometer engine stories

A recent thread talking about k series motors and their reliability got me to making this thread.
    I've driven a ksev Wagon with 465k ks on the original motor that was well cared for and it drove perfectly, felt like it could easily have driven around aus a few more times without dramas.
    my wifes forester gt has 310k on the motor without issues. Ej20t.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

My dad bought a Land Cruiser Ute with a 1HZ diesel in 1993 brand new. He lives and travels in far western QLD outback, and is an electrician, so being in a remote area, working a lot on rural power systems that mix solar, generators and batteries, he carries a lot of weight at all times. The truck never goes anywhere without a huge steel box full of tools up one side, a huge box of fittings up the other, Honda generator at the rear, full mild steel roof structure with massive solar panel, dual batteries, shovels, jacks and three spares. About 60% of the time it tows a trailer filled with cable, fuel, lindsell hoist and other supplies. The dropside body is steel double walled. ANyhow, the rig pulls serious weight at all times, on the roughest roads in QLD. My dad is super anal mechanically. Its always been serviced by him, when he bought it he flew to Sci Fleet in Brisbane to collect it and did a little specific training with the mechanics so he could service it himself and keep the warranty intact.

Its been through 2 gearboxes in its life. The engine has been swapped out once for a brand new 1HZ. Its worn out 2 different instrument clusters, I think the rough roads wreck them prematurely.
    Total mileage on the car is almost 1.1 million. The original gearbox lasted 480,000 ish. The diffs have never been touched except for oil. The engine was swapped out at 930,000. If you obey the rules Toyota sets, tow at 80klm/hr. Service it, grease the thing, resist the urge to jack it up and fit 38 inch mud tyres, and keep it away from the ocean then there's no reason a Toyota wont last forever.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Secret to high km longevity is simple, CHANGE YOUR OIL and do it FREQUENTLY!

4age Bigport - 450,000kms
    4age Smallport - 380,000kms
    4ac - 350,000kms
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I had a 4ac that I pulled down to freshen up with new rings and bearings at 560,000kms, bearings were still fine and could still see the factory grinding marks on the crank so I re-used them haha.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Forgot to add aswell the wife had a ae92 csi hatchback with 460k on the clock and was mint. Would still have it today if a wrx hadn't of taken it off the rd

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Good thread! have spoken to mates parents who run cattle stations and thye clock up 500,000+ kms in their 78 series cruisers in less than ten years with no dramas.

My old 4ac had 'only' done 240 when i bought it thrashed the piss out of it for 40,000 before it was stolen, didnt even break a waterpump, belt or anything. all i did was oil changes. ate oil tho

Current 22RE had done 260 wheni got it, doenst blow anysmoke at all, thrashed and daily for 30,000 now ive turboed it, makes 170rwkw but it just did the headgasket, chucking on a recon head + big cam and keep thrashing till the bottem end goes! Very regular servicing and a sensbile rev limit should see it hold together.
    Last edited by Konakid; 14th August 2013 at 10:14 PM.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

My AE93 has 335***kms. Still pulls like a freight train. I am so surprised how well the smallport runs. Uses almost no oil, and the oil always is clean.

I do alot of highway driving in it, averages around 8lt/100kms. I think thats pretty good for an older engine.

Name
    Dim
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My 4AC had done just short of 450k when it gave up. AE86 has a 4ag now.

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I had a 1UZ that had 470thou on a unopened motor. Still pulled the Celsior along very nice.
    Those motors are claimed to last 1 million kms if maintained right. (Toyota claim)

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

definitely believable
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast