Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toyota AE86 1984 Model Aftermarket ECU (16v to 20v Conversion)

Name
    Jory
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Toyota AE86 1984 Model Aftermarket ECU (16v to 20v Conversion)

Car - Toyota AE86 Levin 1983

motor / part in question - 4AGE 20v ECU
    problem - I have the Motor in with the RWD setup done including Water kit and Dizzy blanking kit thanks to Sam Q. Want to know what parts are needed before i ring a auto electrican to get it wired up. I need coilpacks Crank angle sensor a loom and a Aftermarket ECU.

occurs/started when Worked out dizzy hits firewell (Not going to bash it in or run front Dizzy)

personal situation its Private job

The guides are good. but i find them confusing for what im trying to do. Run Aftermarket ECU, Dont want the Engine bay to look pooh with a dizzy hanging of the front of the motor.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If your going to have an aftermarket ECU then you can run the coilpacks directly from your ignition output. The left over base of the distributor under the blanking cover will give it the crank angle position.

You might not even need a donor loom, I almost have enough EFI plugs to make a complete harness from new. I don't have the crank angle or Injector yet but I have most of the others.

Have you decided which ECU you will use yet?
    Last edited by Sam-Q; 3rd January 2014 at 04:11 PM.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Jory
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey Sam, Parts showed up today thanks for the speedy postage! No i have no yet, I have been told if you buy a crap one the carsa have problems idling. So im not quite sure, maybe a halltech or Mircotech?

I have the 16v Loom just siting to the side of the engine bay, the 20v came with a loom that was cut at the firewall.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Given the time it takes to re-route a doner loom personally you are better off using the one that comes with the ecu you are buying.

Hit up r&d mechanical if u are interested in an adaptronic ecu or pm me for a haltech.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

speak to your tuner about their preferred ECU. No point going with an ECU your tuner isn't familiar with.

Seeing how you're on the coast, go see Matt Spry at PITS. Any of the current range of entry level ECU's will run it fine, Haltech Sprint 500, Adap 440, Link G4+ etc. Most of my ECU tuning experience is with the Link/Vipec ECU's and I've found them to be brilliant with reluctor based triggers, have also had a good run with the older Adap 420c's too.

As Sam stated, use the base of the stock distributor for the triggers then just use a blanking plate to cap it off.

Some ECU's have trouble with the push/pull 20V idle valve, but if you go with one that has issues it's not too hard to run a normal PWM idle valve to your vac balance tube.

I buy new plug housings, crimp pins and seals for my looms from Ballenger Motorsports in the USA. I generally buy a wideband o2 sensor or two aswell to make the postage worthwhile:
    Last edited by cha54; 3rd January 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Sam-q also stocks the connectors / pins within Australia now. But given u have the cut 20v loom all plugs / connectors u need are on that.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Jory
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sorry guys its taken so long to reply, But yes After heart ache motor went in today. Well get back with details about everything i will need as i have some parts and Looms given to me.

The Tuner i spoke to on the phone stated i should maybe use a Wolf? But i don't think i should be spending big money on a ECU as the Motor is quite simple.

I am still new to all of this but, can anyone please tell me what i need to buy as far as the Spark plug leads go. I really like the way some of the cars that have the 20V conversion have the leads all nicely tucked away under the black top cover and are running along the firewall towards the passenger side suspension strut Housing? Like in this photo.

Or is easier and more viable to get a Dizzy reloaction kit from Sam-Q and ply g everything into the 16v Computer and see what happens? (Dizzy relocate work ok?)Im really feeling the pinch with the cost as up getting close to 15k all up now after the restore of the ruined body when i got it.

Name
    Jory
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20V_in_side.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	30756

this is not my photo nor motor only as example for previous post

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I wouldn't suggest using a 16V ecu on a 20V, it doubt it would run well at all and may even damage the engine with a lean out.

As for leads you can get a custom set from TopGun, the OEM 20V set is Max2593. From there set your new center to center measurement and go from there. You can work this out with some rope/electrical wire. Did you want to do this option so you can run the plastic spark plug lead cover?
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Jory
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah Just so it looks tidy, Like i said im still new to it all but i think im gonna get there in the end. This is what it looks like at the moment Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64658_10202933017904387_1096435798_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	30808

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast