Thread: Where are all the 86's

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Where are all the 86's

And that's half the problem, like it or not, they're trendy now, they're getting collectable and they're getting harder to find especially ones in good condition.

Yet the majority of people looking to buy them either have no money, the dreamers, or they expect everything for nothing with no respect for the person that put the time, effort and money into building a good car.

Why would someone that put the effort into building a decent car properly want to sell when every single person tries to lowball them? Only to know the car will probably end up wrapped around a pole by some wannabe Takumi or only driven to kk's to show how JDM they are on a Friday night.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

That is definitely the jaded response of someone that has tried to sell and Ae86 before haha

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No doubt it's a negative perspective though I'm sure others understand.

You can't expect people to pay for sentiment, hard work and attachment but there doesn't seem to be a price gap between rusty crap and good quality cars. It blows my mind prime86 sold so cheap and in my eyes was worth every bit of his original price.

Like mentioned above, people have the good ones all tied up and there isn't much incentive to sell. They're only going to get more expensive and harder to find.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I totally agree. I think 7-10k is the prime selling range as that's what most people are prepared to fork out for these cars... It seems more then that and nobody wants a bar of it, even though these people will buy a cheaper one and end up having to spend more on modifications to get it to the same stage as say a $14,000 Ae86

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Something I just thought of as well - it seems to me that a lot of cars, particularly as they get old tend to get sold within the community. i.e. rather than being advertised on carsales, or eBay or whatever, it more tends to happen that a mate of a mate knows of a car for sale and they change hands without ever being advertised to the open market. I see it a lot within the local motorsport clubs, often a car will change owners between meetings without anyone even knowing its been for sale

Given how sentimental people are about their ae86's I can see this being the case more and more, and it also eliminates the bollocking around you get trying to sell an ae86. I ended up getting a good deal on mine because the owner was sick of every idiot turning up, lowballing him cos it didn't have "epic fitment" or "quad throttles" like every ae86 should and he just wanted shot of the whole drama

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yep, two of the three I sold this year have gone this way. The other one Matt bought.

Name
    J-D
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Aus

i just cant believe the price of the ae86's havent really caught up with the prices of spares yet. youd easily pay triple to build one out of spares then to buy a good one. sucks people just see them as an "old corolla" and not worth that much

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

But don't you think that owners of ae86's don't want them to be known as "old corollas"...? Maybe I'm just picking up on what was posted to JNC today.

Name
    J-D
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Aus

Good read, and yes i absolutely hate when i see an 86 for sale, theres always a few people that chime in with the 'its only a old corolla'......quite annoying

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Glad you liked it. It was a fairly US based, but still a great video. I want to watch more films like this... argh!!!

When you think about it though, its really the community that makes ownership of these vehicles that extra bit special. No doubt the cars are fantastic to drive and bring smiles to drivers, but the community (large or small depending on the owners engagement) is the back bone of the "enthusiast movement".

Somebody get me a tissue! I love you guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2